Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Shopping escapades

So... yesterday was zoo-ey at work. I'm heading out this afternoon for a few days of training (scored it free for my work and a workmate by volunteering... here's hoping they were joking about the yodeling!)

No problems... I work a solid ten hours running from meeting to meeting and then try to finish up some paperwork at the end of the day. As I race out of work, I hit the worst part of traffic and it takes me ten minutes to drive the three blocks that my workplace is located on... so I can take a convenient shortcut.

After battling traffic for forty minutes, I arrive at my destination  the shopping mall and then go to the Disney store to purchase a Tinkerbell t-shirt for my costume for the literary character party at this convention (if I wasn't volunteering, I'd go as a Nancy Drew... quietly watching everyone in plain clothes). No problems, right? WRONG! All their clothes were stopped at the border. So I race through the mall to find black tights that will fit me (why do stores have XS, S and XL?) There's a lot of living in between those sizes. 

I pick up some chicken for my student and her friend who are often at my house. I race home all proud of myself for only being ten minutes late and still being a good host mom.

Ahh! Relief... I'm home... Internal dialogue: I'm happy to serve. You don't get lots of kudos for it but it is the right thing to do. Moms who manage to balance working at demanding jobs, raise lovely children and feed them are the heroes. I won't be in their category but this is my training.

Guess who didn't show up for dinner last night? Guess who's friend didn't show up for dinner last night? You can't win... and all my self-congratulatory thoughts were all in vain! Pride goes before the fall, I guess:-)

3 comments:

Bargainista said...

Hey! i think you make a pretty good 'mom' of your
teenage 'daughter'.
Have fun at your mtgs. Hope you were able to put together your costume.

Playing by the Fountain said...

Hey! Can you put up a pic of your costume? Too fun.

granola_granny said...

Aren't you glad you don't do that run around/balancing act everyday? Hope the chicken freezes well.