Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pre shower anticipation

I am going to a baby shower this afternoon-it is for a sweet family member-so I'd happy to so my support. Please repeat with me "We're so sorry Knittinchick. We know that those are the equivalent of having to watch hours of 17 Kids and Counting without common painkillers such as chocolate or coffee."

Here's what makes it painful:
  • Birth Story Swap-a-thon. Yes, it doesn't feel like birth is a miracle when it is a very painful experience... but just like you don't want me to hear the retelling of painful stories such as horrid breakups or disgusting stomach flu stories-single girls all agree that they don't want to hear your stories. A nice little euphemism here and there isn't the worst thing ever.
  • Baby Shower Un-Games in my mind games are fun... NO ONE wants to eat that nasty baby food, sniff baby 'diapers' or anything like that. Don't do them.
  • Unqualified Advice Givers-people who got married at 22!!! give me advice such as, "When I was finally content, I found the man of my dreams." Sorry when you are 22, you are still a baby, you barely even know how to put one foot in front of the other... you haven't earned the right to give that speech. When I smile at you as you give that speech, I am showing you that God is doing good things in my heart... and that I have actually learned about patience... and you have no clue how annoying (if I'm having a good day) or hurtful (if it is a bad season) you are being.
  • Unknown Gramma's Comments, "You look so natural holding a baby. You'll have to have one someday." Sorry but I'm a big believer in A+B=C. I've got the A (me!) part... but there is no part B... so I guess that C isn't happening! 
But the best part... taking a handknit and then getting to hang out with my cousin's kids afterwards being the Cool Single Auntie-bring on the Polly Pockets!

4 comments:

granola_granny said...

The only good thing about baby shower games is that the guests can't share their harrowing tales and smell diapers at the same time. Hmmmm maybe that's why they play all those not very interesting guessing games. Showers in my mind should have interesting guests, a zippy punch, lots of calory wise tasty snacks, and time to visit. Games should be set to the side and only inflicted on those who insist on divulging their unsolicited birthing stories.

Jadielady said...

I had one today too, BUT there were no silly games and no labor stories!! It was great :)

Bargainista said...

Sounds like you know what to do to be popular w. the cousin's kids. Do the boys like polly pockets, too?
Hope it turns out to be so much fun that you will write a blog on how times are changing.

momofthecrazies said...

The girls loved visiting with their cool Auntie Knittin Chick. Thanks for taking the time to visit with us!