Wednesday, January 7, 2009

That stinkin' economy

So... with my work, I am not responsible for the economy (I know... there are small blessings in this world) but often have to watch it and follow trends as it impacts our work. This has been getting to me as you can only open so many emails stating, "Optimism is down 22% in one month" "Slumping economy affects my sector's future significantly" before it gets to you. So... I've decided to do what I can to save moola wherever. This includes the obvious such as:
  • Buying chicken on the bone and cooking it in a broth for chicken mole, chicken pot pie and soup (with extra broth) left over... savings: $20 (side effect: you only smell like cooked onions for a couple hours) 
  • Making coffee at home and taking it with you to work... savings: $1.75 (side effect: you get stir crazy @ work b/c you can't escape for 'needing coffee' mid morning)
  • Cutting your own bangs that are WAY too long... savings $40 because it stretches your hair cut another month (side effect: you have to watch where the hair gets)
I'm all about the creative solutions so I don't feel like I am stuck. But if I look like I'm nodding my head a lot, it's not because you're that intriguing... it's just because I don't want you to notice my hairdressing skills.

3 comments:

Bargainista said...

Boxing Day sales were great for saving moola too.
We were able to buy so many sweets that they should last us til June. And...i save time b/c i'm not having to bake anything.
And yes, i have put them in the freezer.
(If you come home b4 then i will definitely bake whatever you want.)

granola_granny said...

A local grocery store had a box of frozen chicken pieces that worked out to a buck a pound. The chicken tasted great. I did discover that one should not serve it to company because the meat cutters cut the chickens through their rib cage. Hosts and guests alike were busy trying to descretely remove tiny pieces of chicken ribs from their mouths throughout the meal.

momofthecrazies said...

What's chicken mole? That's one I've never heard of!

You'll have to invest in a large thermos for coffee so you can get a fix mid-morning!